Louisiana Tech University’s sanctioned co-curricular and extracurricular activities and groups are encouraged to use the University’s name and marks within guidelines established for their use.
The Office of University Communications will also assist units in designing approved graphic elements to represent these organizations and groups. Please complete the Project Request Form to request assistance with their design.
UC must approve designs that are created independently to ensure Louisiana Tech branding guidelines are followed. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for approval of self-created graphic elements.
Guidelines on internal logo usage
Louisiana Tech has invested time and resources into creating the institution’s brand and registering logos, names, and marks as the University’s intellectual property (IP). Trademarks and federal registrations protect our University’s marks, and these logos and other IP cannot be altered or modified in any manner.
Depending upon the logo, the appropriate TM (trademark) or ® (federally registered) indicator must appear next to the logo every time the logo is used.
Any use of any University logo or any use of the University name requires prior review and approval from the licensing staff in the Office of University Communications.
Complete the Logo Usage Review Form for a review of your unit’s proposed logo usage before printing or purchasing items with the University’s logo.
University marks cannot be altered or modified in any manner. Modifications include:
- Elements added or removed from official logos – See clear space requirements for more information
- Covering part of logo with other elements
- Changing the colors of any part of any logo
- Stretching, skewing, rotating or flipping logos
- Separating logos into parts or altering any part of any University logo
- Adding text effects such as shadows, outlines, or underling to any logo
Other important things to watch for:
- In 2008, the University updated its State-and-T logo to a more stylized version with cleaner lines. Do not use logos created before this change was made.
- The University as a whole does not use the abbreviated name for Louisiana Tech – LA Tech – either as words or as the logo. This usage is reserved for our University’s Athletics programs.
- Tech’s official colors are PMS 287 Blue and Tech PMS 1797 Red. Codes for these colors in all uses and on all platforms are available on this website.
- We do nor shorten our University’s name to LT or LTU. When writing, we use the full name of Louisiana Tech University on first reference, and Louisiana Tech on second. Thereafter, the use of Louisiana Tech, Tech, or the full name is permissible.
- The use of “Dawgs” is trademarked by the University of Georgia and the University of Washington. We do not use Dawgs on any Louisiana Tech materials. Instead, we use Bulldogs or Dogs.
Ordering giveaway items
Only officially licensed manufacturers can produce items bearing any University logo, using the University name, or referencing the University in any manner. These manufacturers are required to hold liability insurance, have to sign a Fair Labor Standards Act agreement, and give back to the University by paying royalties that are used to fund student scholarships and grants.
We have included a short list of licensed vendors that provide branded items that are commonly ordered. UC can also help design and obtain pricing for branded items. Complete the Project Request Form for assistance ordering branded items.
As a reminder, the University’s Purchasing Office requires the completion of the Logo Usage Form before a purchase is approved or before reimbursement for a purchase is completed.